Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Eulogy

EULOGY FOR JERRY GUDES

Delivered by Rabbi Jason Miller
Ira Kaufman Chapel
February 24, 2009 / Rosh Chodesh Adar 5769

Family and friends, all of us here share something in common. We loved Jerry Gudes. Some of us loved him as a close friend from college, some of us loved him as a neighbor in West Bloomfield or Charlevoix, some of us loved him as a fierce competitor on the hockey rink or as a golfing buddy, some loved him as a business associate, and some of us loved him as a cherished son, brother, uncle, father, and husband. Whatever he was to us, it was a special relationship because of who he was. And he valued all of his relationships.

As a rabbi, one thing we all dread is having to be in a position to deliver the eulogy at the funeral of a close relative or a close friend. Today is doubly difficult for me as I find myself in the position of speaking about the life of a man who was both my beloved Uncle Jer and also one of my closest friends. I pray that I will pay him the honor that he so deserves.

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Jer knew when he asked you to handle his funeral and to help Auntie Cris that he was going to get the best. Of course, I am biased. We all felt the connection to him through your words. It helped us all in our time of grief and sorrow. Thank you. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete